Tomatillo Lentil Salad
Our own "Wild" Lentil salad with tomatillo salsa. Together with Andres Jara, we created this delicious salad using seasonal local organic produce and the great tomatillo sauce from Roots, Rice, and Beans. It is very easy to make and takes just over 30 minutes to prepare! Give it a try! And when you don't have the time or are not in the mood you can always come to Wild Sage Foods and get it.
Ingredients for 2-4 servings / Time of preparation 35′
80 gr French Green Lentils (type Le Puy)
15 gr Extra Virgin Olive Oil
60gr Spring onions
115gr Salad greens
55gr Dried Cranberries
70gr Tomatillo Salsa
1.5gr Sea Salt
- Rinse the lentils in the mesh sieve under water. While rinsing, make sure to pick out any bad lentils, debris or small stones which can sometimes sneak in.
- Cook 80gr of French Green lentils (this will become 200gr of cooked lentils which will give you a generous 2 portions). Place them in ratio 1:4 water without salt. Add 3 garlic cloves ( you can even use garlic granules) and 2 bay leaves. Bring the pot to a boil. Then immediately reduce to a very low simmer, cover and set your timer for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes how they are. They will need to have soften a lot but not be mushy.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain them completely, and let them cool down. When they are cool, you can put them in the fridge.
- Clean very very well the salad greens ( we are using winter postelein but feel free to use anything that you can find in season) and dry it with the salad dryer. You can use the full green but we can also cut a bit of the stem if it looks bulky. After we dry we take a look and remove any big residual stems that can be chewy.
- Peel the carrots, cut in quarters, drizzle with oil, salt, pepper and cook in the oven (preheated) all at once (170C for 20mins). They will be ready when the get brownish but still tender.
- Cut the spring onions in diagonal slices.
- Cut the cranberries in half.
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and just right before serving dress it with the tomatillo sauce ( from Roots, Rice and Beans) and the extra virgin olive oil and add the salt & pepper to your liking.