A Dutch origin salad that has taken over the years many forms and variations across the globe. This is a full-proof recipe to nail this delicious salad every single time!
For the Slaw Mix:
• 1 large head of green cabbage finely shredded (you can use other types of cabbage too but the green is ideal for this recipe)
• 1 large red onion, finely sliced
• 1 large carrot, peeled and grated on the large holes of the grater
• 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup kosher salt or ¼ cup fine sea salt
For the Slaw Dressing:
• 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Finely chop the cabbage; don't miss this detail, it is very important! Combine cabbage, onion, carrot, and parsley in a pretty large bowl. You will need plenty of space in order to mix well. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and mix well for them to distribute evenly on the ingredients. Let them rest for ten minutes; After that rinse thoroughly under cold running water; you want to wash away most of the salt and sugar.
Transfer rinsed mixture to a salad spinner and spin dry. If you don’t have one transfer to a large baking sheet lined with a clean kitchen towel remove the moisture as much as possible. Return to large bowl and set aside.
For the dressing combine all the ingredients in a bow until homogenous.
Pour the dressing over salad mixture and mix well to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegar.
It's better to prepare it in advance and let it shit in the fridge for some hours before serving. That's how the flavours will blend better together and give you an amazing result. Coleslaw is ideal to for bbq recipes and sandwiches.